Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Day 27

Well, I feel a little better.  I got my brioche done and checked off, as well as my panettone that was supposed to get done yesterday (truth be told, it actually did get done, just not by 9:15p).  I was also able to redo my sweet rolls and get my doughs for tomorrow done.  God, no wonder I'm tired!

The brioche is a tricky thing.  As I said, it's one of the doughs that has to stay refrigerated, so you can only work with 1-2 little 2 oz balls at a time. 


 First, it gets shaped.  Cute, huh?


Then it gets pressed into the little molds and proofed until it's nice and puffy.


This is what they look like when they come out.  From here, you can cut them open and fill them with cream or...something.

They don't have a lot of flavor on their own, but they're nice and buttery so I can see where they'd be good if you dressed them up.  I hear that, in loaf form, brioche makes great french toast!

Since my previous sweet rolls melted out from under me, I decided to go with the old stand by and make them cinnamon-raisin with a frangelico glaze and, MAN, did they come out good.

 Here they are as they're headed over for proofing.  They get a bit fatter when they're ready to be baked.

After they're done baking, they get glazed while they're still warm....mmmm.

The Panettone is an Italian sweet bread with lots of internal garnish.  Legend has it that a baker wanted to marry a girl of status but her father would not allow it.  The baker invented this bread and it became so popular that he was able to gain enough money and fame that they could be married.  It's very sweet. :-)

Mine came out a little dark, they go from being not done to DONE very quickly.


It's filled with raisins, golden raisins, pistachios and candied orange peel.

While it was pretty tasty, I am not a big fan of candied fruit peels so it wasn't my favorite.

Across the table from me, Adam and Erica were having fun temping their milk for their doughs...

Aren't they cute?  hehe.

Also, just a little side note...Thanks to Vincent, I now have a webpage name and slogan for my restaurant.  Right now it just redirects to my blog, but here it is: www.cogitoergonom.com  Cogito Ergo Nom... ;-)

No comments:

Post a Comment