Friday, July 23, 2010

Day 61

Ugh, sorry, I'm horrible about updating lately!

Anyway, today was the start of the last 20 days of class and we're moving more into plating and presentation.  Our big menu project is in the works but I'll talk more about that later.

Since today was the first day, we mostly just prepped things that we'll plate tomorrow.  Most of it has to chill overnight anyway.  First up was the Flan.

The ramekins get a little bit of caramel on the bottom



and then filled with custard and baked



We also made bread pudding (not my favorite, but this one was pretty good)

Since we're plating things, of course we needed sauce so I made a caramel sauce and creme anglaise (a basic cream/egg sauce used with lots and lots of things).  We'll be using those more tomorrow.

This last section contains 2 big projects.  First up is the menu project.  Each of us will design 4 desserts, one in each category; pastry (has a crust), custard, chocolate and fruit.  These 4 will be plated and presented on a particular night (for me, August 2nd) but then I get to choose one to be served in the restaurant that night instead of our regular desserts.  There are 3 of us in my group so there will be 3 desserts on the menu for the public.  It's VERY exciting!  I've been thinking about this for a while and I know what I'm going to do, now it's just a matter of the details.  I'm not going to say much about it but I will say that all 4 will have ginger in common.  :-D

No comments:

Post a Comment