Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Day 57

We started on candies and chocolates today.  That's what we'll be doing for the rest of this section.

The first thing I did was Pecan Pralines.  To me, these were really gritty and not at all what I think of when I imagine pralines but....oh well.


It's hard to believe that this bubbling mess will become much of anything....but boil it for a while


and add some nuts....


and you get some pecan pralines!


I also made peanut brittle which I promptly broke into little bits as soon as it was cool.  :-D

The peanut brittle came out a bit dark.  The last ingredient added is the baking soda and it makes the caramel darken by 3 or 4 shades.  It's a very strange process.  You actually have to take it off the heat before it looks done and then it keeps cooking while you stir in the last couple of ingredients.  It was pretty good, but not as tasty as it might have been.

No comments:

Post a Comment