Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Day 74

I finished my goomba today and started on the food for my buffet.  I got everything on my checklist for the day done, which is nice.  I am feeling very time-pressured and lack the energy to meet it.  While I'm excited about the buffet project (I LOVE projects!),  I think the whole menu project just took too much out of me.  I need a break and to recharge.  It's almost over though, this is our last week of class....

I started by candying fruit today.  Just a note, it's WAY better to candy whole slices and cut them into the size and shape you need them afterward than to cut them first....


It's a long process involving 4 pots...3 of boiling water for blanching and the last one on the right is full of simple syrup to simmer the fruit at the end


I candied the oranges in the cherry-brandy liquid that I made.  Hope they turn out!


They turned out pretty, anyway.  The one on the bottom I've already rolled in sugar

I still have to put my pastillage hills together and make my sugar piece but here's my goomba...


This is right out of the mold.  I could leave him like this and it would be fine....


But I felt cutting him out into his true pixelated form was more fun :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment