Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Day 69--Menu Project Day!

Today was Cuh-raaaaaay-zeee.  I cannot tell you how glad I am that it's over!  I'm super exhausted and I've only had a few hours of sleep in the last few days.  That being said, things went very well.

We basically had 3 hours to prep in the kitchen today, an hour to get everything we needed together/finish things and then it was go time.  We had 15 minutes to plate 2 desserts (I know it doesn't sound like much but when you're super nervous and shaky and forgot to draw your stupid diagrams, the time goes FAST).  So at 6:45pm we started plating the plate going out for service (which was my pastry) and one of the other 3 of our choosing.  At 7:00pm, while Chef was evaluating the ones we'd finished, we started plating another of the service plates for our classmates to evaluate and one of the remaining two.  At 7:15pm, we plated the last dessert.  It was a nerve-wracking but somewhat enjoyable process and I feel pretty proud of what I did.

If you remember, my connecting element was ginger between all the plates but I challenged myself to introduce it in new ways each time.  First up was my custard.

Dream A Little Dream
Orange dreamsicle cheesecake topped with vanilla buttercream and a candied orange slice dipped in ginger sugar, garnished with ginger creme anglaise.

Next was my chocolate piece:

The Number 42
(because chocolate is the answer)
A layer of Devil's Food Cake, topped with ginger chocolate mousse, wrapped in a tempered chocolate band and garnished with white chocolate, chocolate sauce and raspberry coulis.

My fruit dish:


Princess Peach
White peach slices coated in ginger sugar lining a caramel batter bowl and filled with raspberry curd.  Garnished with ginger creme anglaise and raspberry coulis.

And last but certainly not least, my service plate and what I hope will be one of the signature dishes of *nom*:


The iTart
A triple ginger cookie crust filled with thinly-sliced apples and brandied cherries, topped with crumble topping and served with vanilla bean ice cream in a caramel bowl, garnished with caramel sauce and the cherry brandy juice cooked down into a sauce.

It was definitely a learning experience and there are a few things I would change but over all I am happy.  And glad it's done.  So very glad.  My scores on my plates were decent two 17's and two 18's out of 20.  I won't know my full project scores until Thursday since there are two more groups yet to go.  

The best part?  I have fabulous friends!  I had 8 people come out to support me and it was wonderful!  I could feel the love all the way in the kitchen. 


Up front is Liza, I've known her since we were little and it was her birthday!  <3


From the back left, Brandon (who I had not met in person, he's another hotel vampire like me), Chanelle in the back right, Victoria next to her, then Roy, then Gloria and Matt.  And of course, front left, my lovely friend Vincent, who I could not have done this without (at least not as sanely as I did).

Thank you again to everyone who came, it means so much to me and I am really happy I got to share this with all of you. <3 <3 <3!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment